Monday, February 4, 2008

From A Friend... that Touch that warms...

This is a paper that was turned in by my daughters best friend. It touched my heart so much that I wanted to share it with you.Just enjoy as my daughter and I did. Darrel

My best friend Shannon and her family mean the world to me. Shannon and I met when we were in college for culinary arts in 2003. We were both on our own for the first time and both more than 3 hours from our parents. Shannon and I lived together through a student housing program and after a couple weeks Shannon and I went on our first road trip together. That was the beginning of our lasting friendship.
Shannon lives in Iowa and doesn't drive so I told her I would bring her to her family's to visit. At first her parents hated me. They could not understand why Shannon liked me, or would have brought me home. As her parents got to know me and I them, they started to understand why Shannon liked me so much. Shannon's parents are wonderful people that I fell in love with and they became a surrogate family to me. Shannon's grandma and grandpa treat me like I'm another one of the grandkids, and I'm like another daughter to Shannon's parents.
Shannon and I both left college at the same time, she went back to Iowa and I went back to Minnesota. Shannon and I hardly ever get to see each other anymore but when we do it is just like old times and we just talk a lot more to make up for the months we missed. Shannon tells me about the things that happen in her life and I tell her about mine. Shannon and I talk occasionally on the phone but as we lead busy lives it's not as often as we would like. When Shannon and I talk she can tell if something is wrong, without me telling her anything. Shannon is always willing to listen to me, and give advice when she feels it's needed.
When Shannon's mom died Shannon called me at 6am to tell me. I hadn't slept yet so I slept for 4 hours and left for Iowa to be there for her. Shannon's family is so strong and they did very well. But it was hard for everyone to lose Sheila because she was such a wonderful lady. But Sheila had suffered many, many years with different illnesses and disabilities. But the beauty of Sheila is she never let it stop her from doing a single thing. She was a strong wonderful woman that led a wonderful life and blessed many people with knowing her.
Shannon's dad is also a wonderful person. When I call to talk to Shannon I always talk to him too. He understands my mind in a way that no one else I have found does. When what I say sounds abnormal or crazy to me he understands it, and a lot of times has been in the same situations. Sometimes I call just to talk to him because he helps me not feel crazy.
I was blessed the day I met Shannon and she will be my best friend for the rest of my life. Even if we only see each other twice a year and only talk on the phone once a month, Shannon and her family will always mean the world to me. I would do anything for her and I know she would do the same for me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story...and what a blessed family

Darrel said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I appreciate your words and your time. They both are valuable and mean so much to me. Darrel

Magdalen Islands said...

I agree that it is a beautiful story about beautiful people, but I wonder why she didn't think you liked her at first. She must be completely different from you and yours. I find that the nicest people come in packages that we don't expect and with ideas we don't expect. I also wonder who this story was written to. She doesn't seem to be writing it to any of your family. Is it an essay and blog post or an article for something like helium?

KB said...

I finally made it D! Such a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with me.

Darrel said...

When we {Sheila and I} first met Christall, it was when we were dropping Shannon off at her collegiant housing for Culinary school. Christall came off as very hard and uninterested in anyone. We never thought she and Shannon would ever become the friends they have nor that she would become such a beautiful addition to our family.
this story was written recently for a college paper of Christall's. She was to write a short paper on something that mattered to her. She told Shannon and I that We were the first people that entered her mind. That is the highest of compliments. Thank you for reading and taking such an interest in the story. hugs...
KB, you made it and i am forever thankful that you did. It means so much to me to see you here. hugss to you and I DO hope you read more and enjoy. Always to both of you I am JASA... D

KB said...

Count on it! Huugggssssss

Anonymous said...

Thanks Darrel for posting this on your Blog. As Christall's Mom you know I couldn't be more proud of her. Thank you for always being there for her. You, Sheila and Shannon have enriched her lives in countless ways. Truely it was it blessed day that brought the girls together on that day and gave Christall such a wonderful support system. Thank you for letting me share from time to time. Faye

Anonymous said...

Darrel, I finally made it lol. My mom had to show me the link. I ment every word I wrote and I love your family more then words can say! I miss you guys like crazy! We need to get together soon. Thank you for giving me the wonderful support and love that you have, and you continue to provide me with such a wonderful caring family to write about! And I got an A on the paper! :)
Christall

Darrel said...

I am so glad that you made it here. Wouldn't seem right if the author of such an incredibly touching write didnt come to see it displayed proudly for all the world to see.
Each word reached out and touched me in ways i can not convey in writing. Only to say that I{we} are honored that you would take time to write about us.
I will say it again as I have so many times. ANY father would be proud to call you his daughter and that is exactly what you are to me.
Thank you from my heart and soul, Christall. Love to you, Darrel

MySavings Media

Dollar General - Savings Zone Gevalia